Partners in Charity
Rotary has an Local Impact through Annual Festival
The Lake Superior Dragon Boat Festival has been proudly partnering with a Charitable Partner since the inception of the festival in 2002. The Charitable Partner solicits financial pledges from dragon boat teams that participate in the festival.
For 15 years, our charitable partner has been the Essentia Foundation who has raised $909,607 through donations from dragon boat paddlers. This has enabled Essentia to provide 3,638 patients and families with the following type of support
- Cancer Survivorship Symposium support
- Accessible Online Education Tools for Patients
- Integrative Health and Therapies: including the addition of therapeutic options and complementary therapies such as meditation, stress reduction techniques, aromatherapy, massage, guided imagery
- Dietary instruction and educational resources for patients
- Digital Mammography for Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Hospital of Superior
- Lung and colon inflatables for community & patient education
Since the inception of the festival, the sponsoring Rotary Clubs have raised over $670,000 (after expenses) from the Lake Superior Dragon Boat Festival through team registration fees, corporate sponsorship and income from vendors and beverage sales. All of these funds have been donated to charitable organizations in Duluth, Superior and to international projects in third world countries.
While the Lake Superior Dragon Boat Festival is very proud of these accomplishments, in 2019 the festival will be taking a different focus. The focus will be on programs that homeless families and youth in the Twin Ports, particularly those programs that bring people out of homelessness into a home, employment and productive life style.
In 2020, the Lake Superior Dragon Boat Festival will be partnering with the Life House based in Duluth, the Harbor House based in Superior and Habitat for Humanity which serves both cities.